Thursday, June 25, 2009

Keeping Cool in the Summer Heat

We have had three super hot days in a row, and have spent lots of time at the lakeshore and a local park that has a wading pool staying cool and having fun!


Playing in the sand.


Trying to eat Snoopy before he melts.


With melted ice cream all over her face she walks the balance beam half wall that surrounds the playground. This kept her busy last summer too.


Roaring like a dinosaur.


The park has a cool sand and water table, and the girls quickly made a new friend that they played with all afternoon.


The girls found a plastic bottle top jammed in the spout of the sand and water table, and all four girls were determined to get it out!! They worked for at least 40 minutes on it.


Proud to show me her bucket, that she was using to help the big girls :)


Emma smiles as she runs up to the playground.


Still working to get the bottle top out, she ran to the the bathroom for soap. She kept telling the girls they could lather it up and slide it out, the way you would if a ring was stuck on your finger. She was RIGHT!!! It took several attempts, but they never gave up, and now the park has a perfectly functioning sand and water table.


With their new friend.


Yelling to me from the top of the playground.


Thinking she could be sneaky with this bucket and soak Alyssa.


Sweet smiles.


Emma was the only one of us who swam in the lake. We all waded in about knee deep or a little further, it is pretty cold water, although refreshing on a day like this.


Rebekah collected these rocks, she said they are for Grandma.


"I believe this came from a comet, " she told me about this reddish rock she is holding between her fingers.


"...And this is what I wish our kitchen floor looked like." Okay? Me too!


Emma showing me a tiny piece of beach glass. She was so proud of it, it's now sitting on a shelf in our living room.


Sitting in the sand. I know it's not nearly a tropical beach like Hawaii, but every summer when we come down to the lake and see it like this, it's hard to believe that it's the same lake we see looking so gray, cold, and ice covered in the winter.


Playing at the wading pool park. What I liked about this picture was that it seemed to me like Rebekah was beckoning me to come into the water with her, and I can see the big girls behind her having fun!


Swishing around in the water.


Finding a friend to play beach ball with.


Ka'iulani and Kahiwalani swimming in the water. It's shallow, but they love it here.


Playing beach ball by herself.


The two older girls were playing a game where they pretended that they were injured dolphins. Emma has washed up to shore here.


Alyssa swimming with her face in the water. Most of the pics I have of her today are like this. Partly because she enjoys swimming underwater, but mostly I think to keep cool. When I got back in my car, the thermometer on my dash said 101. I don't think it was quite that hot, (we were parked in partial sun) but it was HOT!

2 comments:

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

That's the PERFECT way to spend a hot day! Looks so much fun I wish I could join them!! It would be fun to plan a summer trip out to come visit you sometime :-)

jessica said...

We'd love to have you and your family visit sometime, you are welcome anytime!! I know all the kids would have a blast playing and wearing each other out.