Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hero HeadQuarters

Last week our church was transformed into Hero Headquarters for Vacation Bible School. The kids spent the week learning about unlikely heroes of the Bible and how they can be everyday heroes in their own lives. I was the fourth grade girls teacher, and we were on the Green Team, so we did our best to deck the walls out in everything green.
I have to admit to being nervous about teaching the 4th graders. Everything is so straight forward with my kindergartners, they love to sing, do crafts, listen to stories ~ essentially, it's really hard to go wrong with them. Immediately when I got my VBS teaching guide, I was so excited about these particular lessons because I felt there was such a great life application that the 4th grade girls could take away from the week. I just didn't want to mess it up!!!

Our five main lesson points: Heroes Do the Unexpected, Heroes Take Action, Heroes Step Out in Faith, Heroes Save the Day, and Heroes Stand for Truth. The kids had opportunities throughout the week {mostly by giving food to the giving pantry, providing care items for missionaries in the field, and donating school supplies for kids in need} to live these lessons out in a tangible way that directly affects our community.


The first day in class we played a game of telephone. I was worried the girls might not think it was very "cool" but it was so fun for them. They were laughing the whole time, and it probably helped out that the message lost all resemblance to the initial question that was posed by the time it reached the end. That's why they were laughing so hard. I sometimes feel like Alyssa is growing up way too quickly on me, so it was a sweet reminder of how little she still is that she and all of her friends so eagerly got engrossed in a simple game of telephone.


It was such a great week, and I definitely had no reason to be nervous. Every time I get the chance to spend time with Alyssa's class, I am always amazed by all of them. I just know that these girls will be used mightily by God someday! And what's more, they already are.


One of the days the kids were asked to come dressed up as a fictional hero. Alyssa got very caught up in the whole green team theme and refused to be anything but a Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtle. She put together such a cute homemade costume using a piece of felt for the tummy part of her shell, and a pillow stuffed in a green Menards bag for the back of her shell. I did a terrible job taking pics all week. Emma and Rebekah were dressed so cutely too, as Super Girl, and Lady Bug girl respectively. I had so much going on with my class and getting friends the girls had brought with them to their classes, that we had to skip a lot of the photo taking.


The awesome bounce house set up for game time. This was Rebekah's first year in regular VBS, they reserve the Jr. VBS for kids under 4 who are the workers children. Since she was so close to her fourth birthday, they let her go with the big kids and she loved it! It was funny watching her from the opposite side of the chapel and see her rocking out to the music H-E-R-O, God is our Hero...

We were busy during all the evenings of VBS week as well. Each night probably warranting a post of it's own, but I know won't get to all of that. One night after VBS we were so happy to have the girls' sweetest friend, Halle over.





















The girls kept busy racing bikes and scooters. Rebekah served as a traffic guard for a while too :-) Only two days after taking the cast off, I'd say Emma's ankle is feeling pretty good!


Love these girls!!!


And I know I have probably used this verse somewhere here on the blog before, but it's a favorite, and the verse we studied all week:

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
1 Timothy 4:12

1 comment:

Michelle said...

How fun to be apart of the teaching of VBS! I hope to do that one day once all my kids are able to attend. (this was Ava's first year). I bet it was so cute hearing Rebekah sing the songs and participate this year, I love how enthusiastic even our youngest children can be when learning about God. Cristian and Ava came home with a CD of the songs they learned at VBS, and one in particular Carter sings the chorus too at random times through out the day. And he joined in on their chants of "We love God" it was so precious!