Thursday, January 17, 2013

Emma's Funny Face Battle with the letter "R"

Photo 18 of 365, taken January 14th.
IMG_20130114_162718
Emma works very hard on her speech homework, usually once or twice a week. She has always had trouble with the letter "R." Rs often turn to Ws for her. She can definitely make the correct "R" sound when she slows down and thinks about what she's saying, but who wants to slow down every thought of what letter is rolling off their tongue mid-conversation? I know Emma doesn't :-)

She tends to make a funny forced smile that reminds me a little bit of the Joker from Batman when she says her "R" correctly. I could have put the other photo I took up here to show this, but she did have a strange expression on her face, and I didn't think Emma would appreciate the photo being posted. She's working on it, and getting better, but I also think it has become such a habit for her that when she is outside the realm of working with her speech teacher, or working on her endless list of R words with me or Dave she doesn't slow down often enough for the correct R sound to get into her speech ~ and that's okay, it sounds sweet.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ava struggled with R's too.. Then one day, her cute little "R" or "w's" as she used, speech issue disappeared. They even told me in her Kindergarten evaluation that if she still had problems with saying her R sounds at the start of 1st grade, they'd have her start speech. So weird that one day her speech just corrected itself. It was so sweet sounding. (like you said)