Thursday, November 11, 2010

Scamps Fall Invitational

Last weekend the girls had a gymnastics meet. We told Dave's dad we would record their next meet and I think we still owe him a good video taping, as the quality of these videos here are not the best. There were a lot of obstructions of our view of the gym, and even moving around to get a better angle didn't help much. Ka'eo had to zoom in really close on the girls just to avoid poles and such. We'll tape the next meet too, but until then...

Emma's routines: Seeing this video reminded me just how little Kahiwa is. In the warm ups right at the beginning of the video she knees herself in the nose {pretty hard!} and it doesn't even phase her. Also after one of her vaults she forgets where the judge is, and has to be reminded by her coach to salute. Cuteness that makes me wish they could stay this little forever.

Something that very few people will even notice {but I know there will be a few} is that they had two gymnasts doing floor at the same time, with two sets of judges. I've never seen this done in a meet before, and it was so strange because they couldn't use the floor boundary lines properly. It didn't seem like a great set up.

I think all her scores were shown on the board. A and E were in two different rotations and although there were glitches all around with the electronic scoreboard, they somehow kept up better with the scores for Emma's rotation. This was Emma's best all around score so far.




Alyssa's routines: She had an awesome meet today, but did not do her best beam routine. I could tell even before she saluted the judge to begin that she was flustered, she didn't seem to know where on the beam she wanted to do her mount. Alyssa is such a thinker {!!}, she wants to plan out every tiny movement and step, and it's really hard to do gymnastics that way. I should know, I tried doing things just that way for over ten years. Despite the wobbly beam routine, she had her best all around yet!

Because of the issue with the score board not all the scores were flashed. Alyssa had a 8.8 on bars, 7.6 on beam, 9.0 on floor, and 9.15 on vault. When the scores for Alyssa's group were actually shown, we kept missing them because they were flashed long after her routine was done.


 Rebekah meanwhile made herself very comfortable in the gym during warm ups. My gymnastics coach from when I was growing up would be happy to know that I didn't pass on my irrational fear of the foam pit to her.

Two more Level 3 meets to go!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you put these videos up here! They both did a great job!! I bet it's so much fun to watch them. Ava *just* moved up to level 3, and our gym for the first time is going to start competing level 3's this January. (although I'm pulling Ava out of gym for awhile because she keeps complaining about her back hurting).

Being the vaulter I was, (haha), I must say, Emma seems to be a natural at it. :)

jessica said...

Level 3 has been a whole new experience, when I did gymnastics, our club started competing at Level 5. It's been a lot of fun for the girls though ~ they LOVE it!!!

jessica said...

And I forgot to mention a few minutes ago, I'm sorry to hear about Ava having back pain! She's definitely too little for that kind of thing, so I completely understand why you are thinking about taking a break. Poor girl!!

Lori said...

Hey Jessica. This is Lori Whitwer, from Iowa. I found your blog through Michelle Davidson's. You have three girls!!! Me too! I love your blog here ... I just watched the video's of your girls ... my palms were sweating. =) They're fantastic. Seriously though, my palms are truly sweating, as i'm typing this. How great that you're a blogger ... I love keeping in touch with people this way. It looks like everything is going really well for you and your cute family. I'm so glad!!! You take care.

Michelle said...

Yeah, I take "back pain" pretty seriously... especially since I ended up having a broken one for life because of gymnastics. She's had 2 weeks off of it and hasn't complained for awhile about it hurting... I think we'll try starting up again after Christmas. I'm in no rush, and quite frankly, still hope that she choses another sport as her favorite!

We didn't start competing until level 5 either when I was younger... I wonder why they do it this way now??