Monday, November 8, 2010

The M.I.A. Tooth Fairy

Yesterday Emma lost 2 teeth. One of which I don't even think was loose before she decided it needed to come out. Before yesterday she had lost the top two front teeth and the bottom two front teeth. One bottom tooth next to the new grown up tooth in front had been loose and dangling. As for the other one, she pulled it, I think for the sake of having even gaps in her mouth.

She was so sweet about it, telling me that maybe the tooth fairy would leave her $2 instead of just $1, since she lost two teeth in the same day. She's making me feel like maybe our Tooth Fairy is a little cheap, especially since I recently heard one of her friends say that the tooth fairy left her $20. I quickly shielded Emma's ears from that and told the little girl that she's blessed to have such a wealthy Tooth Fairy. Emma's recollection is not exactly accurate though, at our house the Tooth Fairy typically leaves $5 for the first tooth ever lost, plus a small gift like a webkinz. After that it is usually $2 per tooth. Fair?
 Last night Emma had a jewelry box that she insisted the teeth should go inside under her pillow. I made a mental note to put together a few extra dollars to go in the box since her earlier request had been so little. In a very knowing, almost eleven year old voice, Alyssa told her, "You know she can't open that thing...the Tooth Fairy, I mean. She's only about this big {holds out her thumb and pointer finger with about an inch and a half or so in between}. She can't open it!" Emma still thought the box was a good idea, and under the pillow it went.

So this morning I am feeling terrible. Emma came out of the room, box in hand ~ pout on face. She didn't leave me anything!

How could I forget??

Alyssa's suggestion that the Tooth Fairy could not open the box was sounding really really good about now. She sympathetically told Emma, I told you she couldn't open it. Emma shook her head in agreement, she didn't say anything, but I could tell she was thinking she should have listened to her older sister's wisdom the night before. I suggested that we write the Tooth Fairy a letter explaining that the teeth are in the jewelry box under the pillow. And tonight we'll be sure to leave that note out on the kitchen table where the Tooth Fairy just CANNOT MISS IT!

I know how I forgot, I was exhausted. We got up super early for a gymnastics meet on Sunday which pretty much nullified the whole extra hour of sleep from "falling back" Saturday night. It was a very busy day, by 7pm I felt like it was bedtime already and I ended up falling asleep shortly after the girls did at 8:30.

I hope I am not the only mom who has ever been the M.I.A. Tooth Fairy.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Well, I can't say that I have forgotten to help make you feel a little better. But then again, Cristian has only lost 2 teeth. Ask me this again when Ava or Carter start loosing teeth... :)