Sunday, February 7, 2010

Opa Goes to School!

Emma's class has been doing a construction unit in school. They started out by talking about why people need to live in homes, along with the different rooms found in each home and what kind of items are usually in each room. They went on to talk about the work involved in builing homes and larger buildings. Emma's teacher, Herr Haase emailed me one afternoon saying that as they were talking about construction, Emma was SO EXCITED to tell them that this kind of work is what her Grandpa does. Herr Haase invited my dad to come talk to the class about his work, and Emma was SO PROUD to have her Opa visit school!
 
My dad brought in a few tools to show the kids. One of my favorite tools that he showed them was a level that was made in Germany. They tested out the floor, a desk, and the chalkboard to see if all these things were level {they weren't :-) }. A huge hit with the boys was when he brought out the power drill and showed the kids how it worked. He showed them how to take the two boards apart that he had just screwed together, and even made a "T" out of the two boards at the request of a boy named Tommy.


 
Emma and Rebekah watching Grandpa. As I saw them sitting there watching, I was very thankful that my dad had this opportunity to be a part of Emma's class, and that the girls were able to see that visiting their school was important to Grandpa too!


 
This is not pictured here, but as we left the classroom Emma's teacher grabbed his guitar from behind his desk and started singing with the kids. It stood out to me that this was such a cool transition to a new activity, and for the kids it just seemed second nature, nothing out of the ordinary. Another thing to add to my list of the many reasons I love their school {Parents and Grandparents welcome in the classroom anytime, and cool guitar jam sessions}.
Herr Haase thanked us for coming in, and was surprised how long my dad was able to keep the attention of all the kids :-) I could tell he genuinely appreciated my dad's visit. Grandpa did do a really good job!! Thank you, Dad, for rearranging your schedule so you could make the trip up here to visit Emma's class! It made Emma's day!!!

1 comment:

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

that's great he had the opportunity to come to Emma's class. I bet he enjoyed it as much as she did!