Friday, February 26, 2010

Totally Tie Dyed

 
It all started a few weeks ago when Alyssa was doing a class project where they used baby wipes and markers to make tie dyed designs. Now our girls are wanting to tie dye everything...even paper towels.


 
So my parents very nicely bought the girls a tie dye kit, and a couple of weekends ago we started in on making some t-shirts. It was so much fun, even though I ended up looking like I had some rare tie dyed skin condition on my hands {it took several days to wear off and was a little embarrassing, actually}. Of course, on our third of three t-shirts we figured out the trick for getting the ink to spread just right.



The following weekend, the girls proudly wore their shirts to the Block Kids Contest...
 
Alyssa, Emma, and their friends Anna, and Molly right after completing their lego construction project.


 
Emma with her little building project. The contest was hosted by a local association of builders who after noticing a shortage of workers in the industry want to encourage young kids to take interest in careers involving construction and architecture.


 
Alyssa showing me her bridge. The girls didn't win any awards, but they enjoyed the contest a lot. It was a neat opportunity for them to work on skills that they don't usually get too much practice with.


 
The first thing I thought of when I looked at this pic was "poor little Rebekah and her hand-me-down baggy jeans." She has absolutely no waist to keep them up. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that she rarely agrees to wear anything other than dresses.

2 comments:

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

how fun to make your own tie-dye shirts. back in our day, those were very popular :)

jessica said...

I think tie dye was even before "back in our day" although I do remember making some pretty cool tie dye stuff with my friend, Deirdre one summer :-)

it was fun and well worth the mess!