Thursday, December 10, 2009

I could have really used a snow day!

We were supposed to get hit by a heavy snowstorm earlier in the week. It pretty much missed us here, the amount of snow we got was really minimal, although not far from here they had over a foot and a huge power outage that left many people without heat, so I won't complain. The thing is, that the day before the Big Snow was supposed to arrive, I had pretty much convinced myself {and the girls were CERTAIN} that we were going to have a Snow Day! We had plans to hang out at home and relax, maybe do some baking, so what we woke up to was at least a little disappointing.
 
Our pumpkins' snowy winter home in the bushes.


 

When the snowflakes are falling so peacefully like this, I always have the hardest time imagining how those tiny, perfect things accumulate into massive snow piles that take hours of shoveling to clear. One of my favorite things about snowy winter days is that they are the perfect excuse to stay at home with the kids playing in the snow until we get too cold, then cozy up inside with hot cocoa and a movie. Sometimes it's so fun to have nothing at all to do.


 
When the girls got home from school they went right to playing with some of the games I had left out the day before, building towers with the Jenga blocks as I cooked dinner. Alyssa was actually happy to have school once she got going earlier that morning.


 
My brain had been going in about 15 different directions as I was driving home from the school after dropping the girls off. With Alyssa having friends over both nights this weekend to sleepover, a Christmas Party to plan for my kindergartners at church, and a big project I help out with at school kicking into full gear (not to mention shopping, wrapping, baking etc...), I really needed to get things done even though I had mentally prepared for a snow day. It was then that I saw hazard lights ahead of me on the road, and a car that had completely worn off one of it's tires. The guy was driving on the metal part that holds up the tire {is that called the axle?} . I know very little about cars, but I do know that driving on only three wheels can't be good, and this was the second time in two snowy days that I had seen a very similar scene. Not to mention that the dashboard thermometer was reading at a brisk 7 degrees at this time. So I got over my snow day disappointment, feeling thankful that my morning wasn't working out to be as bad as missing a tire off my car, and got busy getting things done.

No comments: