Monday, June 13, 2011

An Almost Birthday

Almost all school year long, ever since she started seeing all her friends celebrate their 5th birthdays, Rebekah has asked me on an almost daily basis if she is 5 yet. Sometimes the question is a little less direct and she'll ask things like, "Am I big yet?" "Is today my birthday party?" "Will I grow bigger when I turn 5?" or "Is it my day to get a crown at school?"
 













Rebekah's birthday isn't until August, but her teacher explained last month that all the summer birthdays would be celebrated during the last week or so of school. The kids could bring in treats, but please not cupcakes {kinda a bummer huh?} and she chose ice cream sandwiches. Because those are so much healthier and less messy than cupcakes :-)


 













Now she sees me. She was the very last child to have a Birthday Tag and I knew celebrating in June was going to cause some confusion. I had to answer the "am I 5 yet?" question at least 3 times before she even left for school, and when she came home she had developed a new understanding that since they were celebrating her birthday and all, and she wasn't actually five yet, she had decided to be 5 and a half instead. My father in law suggested on Sunday that she might try to pull a fast one and try to be turning 6 when we are in Hawaii for her actual birthday, and he was spot on with that prediction.


 













In the end, all she was after was this construction paper crown cut from the school's dye cut machine.

Happy almost Birthday, Rebekah!! For the record, you are still 4!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

glad she had fun celebrating her "almost" birthday. So funny how the younger ones want to catch up to the older ones so badly! And yet, as mothers, we hang onto their "babiness" as long as we can :)