Monday, June 20, 2011

5th Grade Completion

Alyssa's days at German Immersion are finished...she had her 5th Grade Completion Ceremony last Tuesday night.
 Here she is on her last day of Kindergarten in 2006.


 And this is last Tuesday morning on her last day of 5th grade.


 Looking so grown up before going into the ceremony. She was so proud of the princess nails my mom got for her. They look like a french manicure with little black music notes and diamonds near the tips.


 













Receiving her diploma from Dr. Brugger. I couldn't decide which picture I liked better, this one above or the one below, so I included both. I thought she looked very excited in this photo.


 













And I thought she looked very proud and satisfied here.

I began this post a few times and sort of scrapped what I had written. I didn't really know exactly what to write about Alyssa moving on from MGIS. She started here six years ago and we had no idea what to expect ~ how would the immersion program work?...would she actually pick up German easily? Now, after years here, I can only feel proud of her and grateful that she has had this opportunity.


 













This has always been a popular photo stop for us on the first and last days of the school year. While I do feel happy and excited for Alyssa, there is a twinge of sadness to see her leave this school. Part of it is just as simple as that she's getting older, the other part of it is that she is leaving this very sheltered and secure environment for a place we know far less about. And middle school is middle school ~ challenging at best, I'm sure. She has such a great attitude about it though, and I'm confident in her, so I am embracing the excitement of it all much more than that tiny tug at my heart that would rather keep her little, and closer to me.


 















Showing off her diplomas both this year and back in Kindergarten. More photos from completion are here.


 













The 5th Grade Class of 2011.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, you have a Middle Schooler!! That is absolutely crazy. I love all the pictures you have from both Kindergarten and 5th grade graduations. She has grown and changed so much! And Rebekah looks so much like Alyssa. And, I think you are handling the whole change incredibly well! I think I'll be a wreck when Cristian leaves the elementary school and heads to the Middle school. (even though it's right next door).

heather said...

So grown up!!! Congrats to her (and you and dave too)!!