Friday, April 19, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mom!!

Today is my mom's birthday ~ Happy Birthday!!

Photo 105 of 365, taken April 19th: IMG_20130419_094547
The day started out rather uneventful, except for the small swamp in our backyard. Our house is a little lower than the surrounding homes so when we get a lot of rain, it tends to sit right between our house and our neighbor's. We feel a little bit like Shrek at times like these.
04April41
I went into Emma's classroom to help with a stamp making project. The kids were each given a small foam block and some pieces of foam with which they could design their own stamp. I think the project was modeled after an old fashion Chinese method of artistic stamping. The kids enjoyed working on the stamps, and came up with some neat ideas. Emma's is the geometric heart one, one of her friends made a cat, and the boy who sits next to her made Darth Vader.
IMG_20130419_113755
After helping with art in Emma's room, I left to run some errands and was shocked that it was snowing! Snowing ~ On April 19th!!
IMG_20130419_113820
At first, it was just coming down lightly in gentle flakes that looked pretty as they floated to the ground and melted immediately.
IMG_20130419_125604
By the time I came out of Target though, the snow was actually sticking to surfaces. I had to text my mom and ask her if this was the birthday weather she had wished for. She responded that it was Mother Nature's gift to her. My mom has from time to time mentioned to me that she recalled years when it had snowed on her birthday. I couldn't remember any April 19th snows during my lifetime, but she surely proved me wrong today!
04April42
I then braved the snow back to school to help with painting pinch pots in Rebekah's class. I thought she was silly for wanting to wear this Snow Angel shirt this morning. I guess she proved me wrong too.

Happy Birthday, Mom! We are excited to see you and Dad this weekend.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We can relate to the swampy yard :) Since we live at sea level, and it rains a bit here (haha), our back yard tends to get swampy at times. Or when we do get snow, and it melts = swampy yard.