Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rebekah wants Daddy to take her here...

Little Kamele has an ear infection, so tonight we were relaxing together, reading books while the older girls were at gymnastics. While looking at this page in one of her most favorite books right now, Rebekah asked, Can Daddy get me that? (pointing to the Eiffel Tower)
 




















She quickly realized that might be an unreasonable request so she added: Maybe he can just take me there? I asked if I could go too, and she said, No, I want to go in Daddy's car, you can't come.


 I was a little taken back by her quick and very decisive exclusion of me in her plans, but the more I thought about it, the sweeter her comment got. She rarely goes anywhere in Dave's car. Once every couple of weekends Dave tries to take the girls individually for a "Special Day with Dad" and it occurred to me that those days are likely the only times she ever rides in his car. So she was simply making a connection between doing something fun {just her and Daddy} and his vehicle. Other than the fact that making it across the Atlantic would probably be very hard on his poor old Maxima, it made me happy to think about it that way. The time they spend together is special to her.

And much later in the evening when I had forgotten all about our conversation, she told me that the whole family could go. So it's all good now, no hard feelings :-)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ava loves that book too, or anything pertaining to Paris. She really can't wait to take a trip there someday. (and likes practicing her French, just like Fancy Nancy :)

That's so sweet Rebekah enjoys her daddy time so much! Made me smile because my kids are always asking to ride in daddy's car too :)