Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Don't Get Mad...Get Glad!

I don't have any pictures today, sorry. Just a funny little story about kids paying attention to things you might never think would catch their interest.

Rebekah and I were getting ready to pick the girls up from school the other afternoon and she was struggling to get her feet into her boots. They're cutesy little leather boots that zip up the inside near her ankle and she couldn't quite get it. My hands were full and I had to put a bunch of stuff down before I could offer any help. I turned to set it on the counter and she's still making frustrated noises as she says, "Don't get mad! Get Glad!" We laughed a little, and I helped her, remembering back to my own childhood when my parents used to tease me that my favorite part of watching tv was all the commercials. I was a walking, talking slogan machine, always loving the latest advertising catch phrases of companies who had just begun to realize how valuable it could be to market their products to an increasingly aware child consumer.

Later that night, Alyssa heard me telling the boot story to Dave and she offers a very elaborate commercial summary: Yeah, these kids have their own commercial, and they are showing all these bags. You can get small bags, medium bags, and large bags. You can throw them over your shoulder and guess what? There's not even any stink! And when you put in lots of paper plates, you know a heavy load?...The bag DOES NOT EVEN RIP!!! because there are adjustable straps. Cool huh?...

Oh no, the advertising giants have got my children...and now they want "name-brand" garbage bags :-)

1 comment:

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

those advertisers are clever, aren't they!? Cute story! Now I have few catchy slogans in my head... "Hefty, Hefty synch sack" "Doublemint, Doublemint, GUM" I could go on... but I don't want these to be stuck in your head like they are mine, LOL.