Friday, May 1, 2009

U.S. National Whitewater Center

The USNWC, in Charlotte, North Carolina is the Olympic Training Center for Whitewater rafting and kayaking, but they offer day passes for all their cool rafting, climbing, and zipline activities. We spent the day of Jones' wedding here, and started the morning with their "Climb to Zip." If you're up for a challenge and a good scare, this is the place to go! The surroundings are beautiful there, very scenic.


Mike ready to climb.


It was a pretty challenging climb, there are a few spots on the pole that don't seem to have grips or foot holds where you would expect them.


The scariest part of the climb to zip for me, was sitting on the edge of the platform and having the guide tell us that it is possible to hit your head on the platform if you don't pitch forward far enough. The best part of this picture though is Mike's expression.


Mike on the platform, right before his turn. Mike took the best zipline pictures out of all of us, that's why he appears here so many times.


Go Hawks!!





I think Dave surprised Mike and Andy with how quickly he flew up the climbing pole. They kept telling Dave he looked like a panda bear climbing up the tree after a coconut.


Little did Mike and Andy know that they were describing a scene from one of our girls' most beloved Hawaiian children's book, in which ALOHA BEAR goes in search of his lost Guava Jelly Sandwich.


Dave and I climbing together.


Dave and I having a mini-celebration as we share the zip line platform.


In mid-air.


Happy to be back on the ground.


This was definately the more relaxing of the two ziplines. For the Mega Zip, you just step off the platform and enjoy the view as you zip across the entire park.


We were told to put our arms out like this because there was very little wind this day. Having your arms out, would eventually slow your speed a bit, allowing the breaking system to catch you at the end of your zip.


I think Mike and I are somewhere above the rapids in this picture. At one point I tucked up my legs because I felt like I might kick someone in a raft below me, I don't think we were ever even nearly that close, it just seemed that way. It was a lot of fun.



Below are links to some pictures taken by the USNWC while we were on the rapids paddling for our lives. As Mike told our guide, "Fear is a powerful motivator!" We opted for their most exciting rafting trip, the Rodeo Rafting, but they also offer less intense Family Rafting Trips (unlikely to fall out of the raft), and the Adventure Rafting (middle of the road trip).
After all four of us fell out of our raft, Dave and I body surfed down a Class 3 rapid. It was a little much for me, but I can say now that it's over, I'm really glad I did it! It was a pretty intense run. The guy I returned my equipment to was missing ALL OF THE TOES on one of his feet, just to give you an idea of how rough of a sport rafting can be.
Dave, Andy, and Mike (and of course, the guide Rob Smith) did an awesome job navigating a Class 4, they didn't fall once, which I think even impresed our guide! It was a really cool experience, and I can't wait to take the girls once they are old enough. The safety training and techiques they provide before each trip are a worthwhile and confidence building experience on their own.





Charging the rapids!



The four of us about to hit the water, notice how our guide is very excited about it!!



Reuter, Mike and Dave in the class IV



Link to the USNWC

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great summary Jess!

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

Umm, WOW! You guys are little dare devils =) That looks like a fun day!!