Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gatlinburg, Tennessee

On our way to Charlotte, North Carolina for Jones' wedding, we drove all day, and arrived in Gatlinburg, Tennessee just in time for their annual Rib and Wing Fest. The food was great, prepared and served by many local restaurants and the police and fire departments. We walked from booth to booth through the downtown area and they just kept piling food on our plates. Gatlinburg is a touristy town right near the entrance to the Smoky Mountain National Park. I visited several times with my family when I was growing up. Much of the town is still the same as when I was a kid. It is maybe a little bit more commercial, but I immediately recognized many places that brought back great memories as we drove into the area.


Gatlinburg's observation tower is lit in blue behind me. I remember going up there, along with the Sky Lift up the mountain as being highlights of the trip when I was younger.


There was live entertainment with the Rib and Wing Fest, and this group called The Tams was excellent! The older man who is second from the right in this photo was 82 years old and the father of one of the other band members. They were very entertaining dancing around the stage as they sang many classic hits from the 60's (I think). One of the younger guys who sang lead for many of their songs had a great voice, overall we were pretty surprised at how much fun their show was.


This picture was taken right outside the entrance to our hotel, and it's for Alyssa because every time we called her she greeted us with a "Howdy Y'all!!"

1 comment:

KmCaCFamilyof5 said...

And by the looks of it... looks like you did some shopping too =)