Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rebekah's Recent Artwork

Rebekah has never loved doing things that require a lot of small motor concentration. She likes to draw and color, especially with markers, but even the things she really enjoys can fatigue her pretty easily, and she gets frustrated if she makes a mistake. Cutting and writing have reduced her to tears at times.

In January, Rebekah's teacher sent home a note saying how much her handwriting was improving. Then in February, Rebekah was so enthusiastic about the Black History unit they worked on. She brought home several pieces of artwork that are much more detailed than her previous work, and I can tell she is working hard to make her letters the appropriate size.
IMG_3239
She loved telling us about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and Ruby Bridges. She refers to them mostly by their first names only which is so cute.
IMG_3240
It's just a small thing, but I am so thankful for her recent progress. She now asks me to sit down and write things with her! For the first time this year, writing out her valentines was actually FUN for her. She'll call to me when I am in the kitchen and ask me to spell something for her and then she'll proudly march into the kitchen with her notebook to show it to me...and she never used to enjoy doing this kind of thing at all!
IMG_3241
Rebekah's sweet smelling hands sprinkled with jello sugar.
IMG_20120218_093438
She is such a little muffin...when Alyssa asked her the other day if she wanted to go upstairs to play with her, Rebekah replied, No, I'm just going to stay by Mommy. She's my best friend. Now I can just hope she will feel that way forever :-)! I love her sweet little heart.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

She seems like a character! She'd be fun to get to know :)