Friday, March 16, 2012

Germany Under Glass

The first weekend in March the Mitchell Domes hosted Germany Under Glass. There was a lot of German music, dancing, crafts and food and the Kindergruppe that Rebekah dances with was invited to perform.
IMG_3303
Some of the girls before they got lined up to perform.
IMG_3320
Rebekah enjoying the dance. This was such a change from the Christmas party when she refused to dance. She is seeming like such a grown up little girl lately.

Here is a video of their dance. It's a little bit of a hodge podge of a few dances put together, but I wanted to share a clip of a few different dances without making this video too long.

I like her tiny side eye smile to the camera every so often and how she and Claire look lost at the two minute mark when the music starts and they clearly have no idea which dance to do. At least they caught on pretty quickly.
IMG_3383
Most of the children from Kinder Gruppe.
03March6
Face painting fun.
03March5
Decorating traditional German Lebkuchen Heart cookies.
03March4
Without glancing at the photo above which kinda gives it away, can you guess which of our girls each of these cookies belongs to?
IMG_3352
The girls went on a scavenger hunt to find all the ladybugs hidden in the three domes. Looking through the pictures I took, I realized that I should have taken a picture of the outside of the domes for anyone who isn't local and can't picture what they might look like. There are 3 pretty big greenhouse-like domes, two of them always stay the same, the Tropical dome, and the Arid dome. The third dome is a "show dome" and the theme changes about 4 times a year...it's a very neat place to visit. Especially on a gloomy winter day {even though we didn't have too many of those this year} when pretty flowers like orchids and Queen Emma Lilies and funny things like baby toes, sausage trees and chocolate pudding trees brighten our day.
IMG_3356
In the tropical dome.
IMG_3362
The real Hawaiian Princess Ka'iulani loved banyan trees, her father planted many of them in her yard at I'olani Palace so she could play in their shade. So each time we visit the domes, I always take a photo of our Princess Ka'iulani by the only banyan tree I know of in our area.
IMG_3359
My sweet and happy little German dancer. I seriously cannot get enough of that dress, I would let her wear it everyday if she asked to.
IMG_20120116_111350
The current theme in the show dome is Fantasy Garden Train Show, although I think it changes either this weekend or next week. As always, it was so pretty.
IMG_3418
The miniature floral trees that the tracks went through.
IMG_3414
One of the crafts that the girls were able to try were the folded paper ornaments on this tree. It was hard!
IMG_3416
Alyssa showing my mom her intricate paper folding.
IMG_3413
Thank you G&G for coming to see Rebekah dance!! It was a lot of fun. I wanted to use a German word here that I see used a lot to describe our day: Gemütlichkeit, but I wasn't sure that I was using it correctly. I think it means happy or fun times, but I don't know for sure. I wish I would have ever gotten around to taking the German classes offered to the parents at our school :-)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a fun event! Rebekah looks so happy to be dancing, very cute! I'm a little jealous of all the short sleeves I see in these pictures. I've been hearing about the record high temps the mid west has been having, and I REALLY wish we'd start to see some spring weather out here too! We had 2 days of snow last week. WHAT is that all about??? So unusual for us.