Thursday, February 2, 2012

Winter Fun

We had just enough snow to enjoy a little bit of winter last weekend. I don't love the cold weather, but the girls sure like a good snowfall every now and then, so we were happy to have the chance to head outdoors for some sledding.
IMG_20120128_145411
Poor Emma kept picking the sunny side of the photos all weekend long...
IMG_20120128_145525
Definitely one of the best parts of the day was seeing this team of sled dogs. They are really amazing and beautiful animals!!
IMG_20120128_151220
Emma loved this dog named Bob!
IMG_20120128_145712
I have always thought that being a sled dog would be really hard work for an animal, and I'm sure to some degree that is accurate. But, I could just see with these dogs how well cared for and loved they were, and when they began the demonstration the dogs were all calling out for a turn to run with the sled. They seemed to love the excitement of it all. And you'll probably think I'm crazy, but one of the dogs could bark "I love you." It sounded a bit Scooby-ish, but it was clear what he was barking.
IMG_20120128_151330
IMG_20120128_151759
The girls pretended to ice fish for a little while.
IMG_20120128_152016
We thought it was neat how this fallen tree trunk was way taller than Rebekah. After stopping for a pic, the girls had a blast sledding down an icy hill. I was surprised because Rebekah really had to be talked into sledding last winter, and she didn't love it then, but she laughed all the way down the hill several times this day. Alyssa flew down the hill at top speed, just loving it, and she's usually my girl who can spend just a short amount time outside in the cold, then she's had enough and would prefer to move on to the hot cocoa part of the fun.

The little bit of snow that fell over the weekend has promptly melted as we had a few days this week that felt a lot more like Spring than the end of January. I'm not complaining, it's been very pleasant, I'm just worried that if winter doesn't actually hit us sometime soon, it will be lingering long into the months that we would love to see warm weather. I'm also worried that our flower bulbs won't have enough freezing cold rest this winter to bloom brightly later this spring.
IMG_3224
How Rebekah feels about the melting snow.
IMG_3228
My snow loving sweeties. Emma wanted me to add to this post that the girls watched the movie, Mr. Popper's Penguins over the weekend with their friends. All five girls laughed throughout the entire movie, and I've heard the book is even better. Emma is the only one of us who has read it, as her whole second grade class read it together last year. It would definitely be a fun winter read!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Mr. Popper's Penguins is a favorite of my kids too :) Gotta love snow days! You probably get a little sick of them, by the end of winter. But it's a treat here :)