Monday, November 7, 2011

Our Growing Gecko

Last weekend, Dave and his sister were talking on the phone about our gecko, Banana Lemon Mulch Big Bad Bob, so I thought I would try to get some better pictures of him. We keep referring to the gecko as a "he" but we won't actually know for a few more months whether it is a girl or a boy. Dave is excited that it seems to be growing, which suggests he is adjusting to his new habitat nicely.
10October20
Isn't he cute?! The girls love that they chose the name Banana for him and he likes eating banana baby food off a toothpick!! It's kinda funny and cute to see the little guy lick his entire eyeball with one swoop of his tongue, and he likes my hair ~ he's taken a flying leap into it twice.

We have been trying really hard not to frighten Banana as we pick him up, because when crested geckos feel threatened, they are known to snap off their tails as a defense mechanism, and if this happens it won't grow back. We are trying to avoid that, so the girls are learning valuable lessons in the care of a delicate pet. Banana has been cooperating with letting the girls hold him more and more, but he does get a little jumpy after a few minutes. He seems to be shedding his skin some too, which is a good indication that Dave is right, and he is growing.

Anyway, this is unrelated, but I was so proud of Emma the other day. After school, she and Rebekah were playing tag with four boys in Emma's grade, and Rebekah was IT. She was in ambitious pursuit of two of the boys when they ran under the tot lot bridge and split up, going opposite directions. Rebekah froze under the bridge as if she didn't know which boy to run after. Just as she looked like she was done with the game, Emma ran to the stairs of the bridge, stuck her foot through the railing and called out, "Here, Rebekah, I'll get 'em!"

Rebekah tagged Emma and the game was on again.

I've thought about the brief scene several times since I was watching them play that day last week. I can't get over the feeling of hoping that things will always be that way between them. When one needs help, the other will jump in and eagerly offer it. Now I'm not trying to read too much into a simple exchange, in all honesty, it wasn't really that sacrificial on Emma's part. The boys didn't stand a chance against her. She knows it, and they know it too, which is why they invite her to play with them :-) But it sure blessed my heart to see her run to Rebekah's defense!

4 comments:

heather said...

I had no idea about geckos and their tails but that is kind of freaky! He is cute though!

And I love the story about the girls! I like to believe the same thing about my kids. I love how close they are now and truly wish it will always be that way!

jessica said...

Hi Heather,
I was surprised about the tails too! I have a book that I'm going to try to remember to send to work with Dave so Matt can bring it home for you to read to the girls (it may be a little on the youngish side for Jack to appreciate). It's called Little Skink's Tail and it is by a local author, so you may already know it :-)

But yes, because of this book, I just sort of assumed that if the tail should be lost for any reason, it would grow back. But with crested geckos that's not the case....

Michelle said...

Banana is very cute! Glad he is adapting to his new home! So, of all his names... the only one I'm wondering "Where did that come from" is Mulch :)

That is a very sweet story. :)

jessica said...

I think Mulch came from Alyssa thinking the gecko looks like a piece of mulch. Once Rebekah decided she really liked the name Banana, I think Emma got hung up on the whole idea of yellow fruit and that's why she chose Lemon.

The one I can't figure out is Big Bad Bob. That was just offered up with a bunch of laughter and it stuck :-) Kids and their funny ideas...