Monday, May 2, 2011

Birdhouses and Earth Day

On the day after Earth Day we went to Lowe's where the girls built some cute little birdhouses. Both Home Depot and Lowe's occasionally offer family projects on Saturdays, and the girls enjoy them.
I'm not sure what Kamele is telling Dave here, but it looks intense as she waves the hammer in front of his face. In the past, she has always liked the idea of having a completed project, but she wasn't really into the whole process of building it. This time she enjoyed it a lot and did a surprising amount of the work herself.























Alyssa, being the perfectionist that she is had to have everything just so...several times I saw her pulling a nail out and straightening what she called a "major mistake." Yet she wouldn't take her puffy coat off, which in theory should have made things a little easier.


There's something sweet about a little girl in an apron, hard at work.


Our most intense builder of the morning. She was loving the project until she hammered down her little pointer finger. It turned into a tiny blood blister that now looks like a polka dot of permanent marker on her finger.


She wore her protective goggles for a little while before she decided she could see better without them. Then they sat upside down on her head, flipping up her hair like a macaroni penguin. She wears sunglasses upside down too, it must feel right to her. Just like having shoes on the wrong feet.


The finished houses that the girls have since painted in every color of the rainbow.


When we turned in our tools, the girls were given a baby tree as part of a Lowe's Earth Day tree give away. On Easter afternoon we found a pot to plant our little tree in, and we also planted some strawberries. I don't usually have much luck growing anything, but we are going to do our best to take care of these!


A funny memory from Earth Day this year: we had been reading a few books about taking care of the Earth and how we can all do small things that over time will have a great impact on the Earth's health, and so I wanted to ask the girls about things they thought they could possibly do more of, or maybe do better than what we've been doing.

Alyssa immediately chimed in about my overuse of water when I am washing dishes, brushing my teeth, and taking excessively long showers. All areas I need to admit guilt in. She has since stood next to me several times supervising my teeth brushing habits. Mostly because she was not being at all sassy about it, just letting me know from the perspective of expert , it struck me as funny that as I asked her to examine what she could do differently, she decided to instead critique my conservation efforts. Later that same day I asked Dave if he would run to Pick N Sav and grab some milk. We live right around the corner from the store, and borrowing a line from Fancy Nancy, Alyssa called out to him, "Less than a mile? Then bike in style!" I was laughing trying to picture Dave riding a bike while balancing a gallon of milk in one hand and a grocery bag in the other. Or better yet, I know the girls would be happy to get him a basket (most likely one with flowers on it) that he could attach to the front of his bike. Now that would be biking in style!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That's a great Earth day project! Had it not been pouring down rain, I would have loved to have gotten outside and planted something with the kids! We did discuss how we could do our part at home and better conserve energy and not be so wasteful... and Cristian also pointed out to me that I could fill the sink 1/2 full of water to rinse off the dishes instead of letting the water continually run the entire time I'm rinsing and loading. He's right... I could do better at that. My kids are going to do their best to remember to turn out lights when they leave a room!

A couple of years ago I took the kids to do a Saturday project at home depot... I completely forgot that they do that sometimes. I'll have to look into that. I bet my older 2 especially would really enjoy that! Your girls did a great job on their bird houses!