Wednesday, April 6, 2011

They Call Her Becky

Before she was born, we had a hard time deciding on a name for Rebekah. We didn't know whether we were expecting a boy or a girl, and the boy name came to us very easily, but a girl name required a lot more thought. By the time she was born we had it pretty much narrowed down to a few options. Rebekah was a name we had also considered for Emma, so it was definitely near the top of my list.





















Even though the decision hadn't been finalized, when Rebekah was born she looked so much like a Rebekah to me ~ that's what I started calling her. When I first said it, I think Dave was taken a little by surprise, but secretly, I know it was one of his favorite names too. The name seemed to fit her from the moment she was put in my arms, and maybe it's just because that's what we've been calling her the last four and half years, but I couldn't imagine any of our other choices for her.

My only concern with choosing Rebekah was that I always wanted her to be Rebekah, not Becky. From time to time during this school year, I have heard both of her teachers referring to her as "Becky." It was almost one of those situations where I looked around wondering if they were talking to her or someone else.


Now, I knew it was unrealistic to expect that she would never be called Becky, but I guess I thought she might make it beyond her first year of school without being given an abbreviated version of her name. Lately, it's catching on more with her classmates too, and there is one boy in the class who calls her Re-Becky.


I'm hesitant to say it, but "Becky" is growing on me a little. It sounds very endearing and kind of cute, especially when spoken with a German accent. And she responds to it, so she's either accepted the name or really doesn't mind either way. After hearing Frau Huhta call her Becky the other day, I asked Rebekah if the teacher calls her that all the time. As if I was silly for asking the question, she told me yes. I leaned in closer to her and quietly asked her what her name is and with sparkly eyes and a big smile she said "Rebekah!" That's a good girl!

2 comments:

heather said...

I always had issues with nicknames too. I think partially because my name isn't suited to having a nickname and also because I think if you want your child to be called something, then name them that! :-)

Jack is Jack's full name (on purpose) and then came my first daughter. She goes by both Elizabeth and EJ (and we let her choose what she wants people to call her in general and at school), but clearly 80% of the time she is EJ.

Olivia has always had about 50 nicknames and the girls both call Jack "Jackie"...so clearly, things have changed around here! :-)

Michelle said...

That's crazy... I was just going to make a post JUST like this. I noticed on THursday when I picked Cristian up from school that the 4th grade boy who was on safety patrol called him "Chris" And, at first I was thinking... "that's not his name" I asked him if people call him that a lot at school, and he said, just the older kids who he plays football with at recess. He told me they call him "Little Chris" because he's a good running back like Chris Polk from the Huskies. Have to admit, it was kind of growing on me... but I still think I would never call him that.