Friday, April 8, 2011

Funny Food

On April Fools Day we made a just for fun meal of "trick food." I got all these recipes from Family Fun, and threw them together last minute, so ours didn't look quite as pretty as the examples. It wasn't until I looked back at last year's post (you might want to click on this link, maybe you'll be a little more impressed with that than with my feeble attempt in this current post) that I realized how much more thought and time I put into that meal...I'll have to do better next year.
We had grilled cheese sandwiches made from pound cake slices with frosting as the melted cheese, jolly rancher gummy green beans, and french fries made from pillsbury biscuit slices rolled in sugar. I had a hard time making the cheese spill out the edges of the bread and not look like the actual frosting that it was, and our green beans didn't look as realistic and yummy as the ones on the website, but the girls still liked everything and thought it was funny.
The first thing Emma said when she saw the fake juice (jello) in the cups was, "I'm not falling for this again!" I pulled the same prank last year, and it's now a favorite. Rebekah's face in this photo just about says it all...what are you trying to feed me now?!
The girls talked about the prank food I made them last April 1st this whole past year, and that's the only reason I did another trick meal this year. I'm going to have to put a little more thought into it if I do this again next year and try to make food that is funny, but that they will actually eat too! All this stuff was so sweet that after a few bites, it was nauseating. Good thing we had pizza waiting in the wings!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

what a cute idea!! I think I might have to make some "trick" food next year too :) It does sound like a very sweet meal!