Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss

I may have very well forgotten that today is Dr. Suess' birthday if Rebekah's school calendar didn't remind me with the week revolving around all things Seuss. For his birthday we had a breakfast of...Green Eggs and Salami (??)! Oooops, this wasn't a very well thought out breakfast menu and we didn't have any ham :-)


"Eat them! Eat them! Here they are!"
We had one unhappy little camper who refused to eat the green eggs, she does not like her food to be messed around with in any way. In all fairness to Emma, my expectations were a bit unrealistic. She's not really a "morning girl" to begin with, added to the fact that she has only about five foods that she actually likes to eat (and green eggs are not on the list) so I really had about zero chance that she was going to eat this. She is so sweet ~ but she sure can pull off a good pout, especially when food related conflict comes up!



Rebekah, being the good little Sam I am that she is, was pretty impressed, and tried to convince Emma (who called the eggs "scary") that they tasted just like regular eggs.


Alyssa was also amused and she too had words of encouragement for Emma. It wasn't quite a quote from the book, but if it was, I would like to think it went something like, "You don't like them? So you say...try them! Try them! And you may! Try them and you may, I say!" In actuality it was more like, "Mom, Emma's not eating her eggs! They're getting cold, then they'll really be gross!" Thanks for your help, sweet Alyssa. And on second thought, I may have been the one that suggested that cold eggs are gross.

So we didn't have an epiphanal moment where Emma shouted a victorious, "I do so like Green Eggs and Ham, I do so like them, Sam I am!" But I'm happy to report that I packed some dry cereal in a ziploc bag for her to eat on the bus ride to school. Oh, the compromises I'm willing to make in order to get that child to eat, it was either the cereal or some girl scout cookies...she'll thank me someday.

2 comments:

heather said...

Love it! We did green scrambled eggs as breakfast for dinner last night and I was happy all the kdis ate them. They are a little frightening though...can't say I blame Emma! :-)

Michelle said...

That's pretty funny... she sure did not seem amused by her breakfast. I agree, eggs are only good while they're hot! I've colored eggs green on St. Patrick's Day before, but always manage to forget Dr. Seuss' bday.