Friday, April 16, 2010

Operation: Build Treehouse!

The girls spent most of Spring Break at my parent's house where they embarked on an awesome backyard project!!! My parents have always wanted to build a play house for the girls, so they decided this week that they would build a tree house. And let me just say my dad does not do any kind of building project in a small way...this is no ordinary tree house!
My dad started by building a platform a few feet off the ground. Emma was eager to help and get the project started.


Once the first platform was in place the girls were very excited to climb up and check out the progress.


I thought I was taking pictures each step along the way, but after looking through what I have, I can see that I missed some stages of work. Rebekah loved jumping up on the platform as the second level was framed.


Hooray, a climbing wall to the first level is in place! The older girls loved helping, and occasionally argued over who got what job, or one of them would come into the house looking disappointed, because she felt that her sister was helping more than she was at that point.


Emma was especially enthusiastic to work! Acts of service is probably her most dominant love language and my dad had a constant shadow throughout the whole process! She went with on errands to the lumber yard and everything, where they added their own twist to the save big money at Menards jingle. Emma came home singing proudly "Pay Big Money at Menards!!" {Menards may be a midwest only establishment, sorry if you can't relate to the song :-)}


Thank you, Grandpa for your cool vision for the tree house! The girls love it a lot!! He lost me a little bit when he mentioned a flying gable for the roof. I'm not exactly positive what a flying gable is, but it sure sounds fancy.


 The top level feels pretty high up! Something I didn't quite realize until I actually jumped up there and took this photo of Ka'iulani. The view is really neat too.


 The kitchen they decided to make on the first level.


It's not completely finished yet, the girls want a slide off one side, but already it's such a wonderful place to play! I know my parents are a little worried, hoping their neighbors to the back don't mind looking at it, but I also know the girls are going to LOVE this special place for years!! I'll probably have to beg them to come down all summer long every time we are at G&G's house! Thank you so very much Grandpa ~ the tree house is AWESOME!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow, that is an awesome tree house!!