Monday, November 25, 2013

First Tooth Fabulous

Rebekah has been asking since sometime in kindergarten, when her other friends began losing teeth, when she might get a loose tooth of her own. Based upon both of her older sisters losing their first teeth on the late side, I knew she had quite a while to go before she'd be experiencing any of this kind of excitement. Finally, a few weeks ago, she pointed out one of her bottom front teeth telling me it felt weird. I asked her if it was wiggly and we determined that she officially had her first loose tooth. This rather quickly convinced her that she could hardly eat anything at all for risk of the tooth hurting, or heaven forbid, becoming any looser. Over two years of waiting to basically figure out that she'd prefer to keep her deciduous teeth after all.

After about two weeks of apprehensive wiggling and going through a phase where the tooth was so loose she practically spit it out each time she spoke...On November 20th, the tooth came out and...she didn't even know it fell out when it happened. Rebekah was eating a snack as we were driving in the car after school when she called out to me from the back, "Mom, there's something in this puffed rice that is not puffed rice." It didn't immediately occur to me what she was talking about, so I didn't say much. About a minute or so later, I realized what happened and we had to fish through her snack filled cup holder in the car to find where she spit it out. She ran around cheering for about five straight minutes afterwards repeating over and over again, "It came out. My tooth came out. And it did not even hurt me at all. My tooth is really not there anymore. It came out..."

IMG_20131120_171429
I love little window smiles!

I used a fancy, swirly font to write a letter to Rebekah from the tooth fairy, in part because Emma lost two teeth during this same week and completely lost {as in the tooth never made it from school to home after falling out of her mouth} one of them and I thought it would be fun for the tooth fairy to give her a hard time about the really lost tooth. So anyway, my computer printed letters seemed to go by rather unnoticed by both of the girls and the bottom sentence of her schoolwork here tells exactly what Rebekah thought of it:
IMG_3953
"The Letter the Tooth Fairy gave me last week came from the computer."

So while she was thrilled to loose her first tooth, I guess as far as the tooth fairy goes, she is not easily impressed.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

they always look a bit older once they loose their first tooth! Funny about the letter… haha.

heather said...

EJ lost her first tooth this fall too (second the next day). She was so excited as she was sure she was the last person in 1st grade to still have all her baby teeth!