Monday, December 3, 2012

Kamele Says

Rebekah says funny stuff all the time. All the girls do actually, and I know the fact that they are my girls and I see glimpses of myself and Dave in some of their day to day observations and general life commentary is why I find it so amusing. I think it is Rebekah's seemingly so sweet and innocent delivery of interesting remarks that tickles my funny bone and this past week she has been in prime form.

Emma and Rebekah spent a couple days at my parents house after Thanksgiving. When I picked them up from my parents, we had no sooner gotten home than Rebekah was already lovingly tattling on my dad. She told me, "You know what? Grandpa gave me 6 scoops of sherbet! Why don't you give me 6 scoops?" No wonder G & G's house is the place to be!

G & G got Rebekah a treasure box full of Lemonheads candy at the Cracker Barrel. She had never heard of Lemonheads before this treat, and to tell the truth, it wasn't the candy in the treasure box that she was after ~ what she really wanted was the treasure box itself. This morning, Rebekah was trying to get Emma to give her something that they both wanted and she made a sweet but cunning proposal to Emma: "I'll give you a Lemonface!"

Rebekah didn't want to go to with me to drop Alyssa off and she asked if she could stay home with Emma "in charge". I explained that Emma was not going to be staying home either and that she was not old enough to babysit. So she asked, "How about me? I could be the charger. I'm a great charger!" Sure you are, baby. It was a little bit of a Rain Man-like moment...I'm a good driver, I'm an excellent driver. Dad lets me practice in the driveway.

The other morning, she didn't want to finish her breakfast so she looked at her french toast, then looked across the table to me and asked, "Mom, why don't you make smaller pieces of bread?" I didn't immediately answer, because I was wanting to see if she was going to admit to being full, or make up some excuse why she couldn't eat any more. Sensing that I was waiting for her to say something, she added, "This is very big bread for such a tiny girl."

During the same breakfast she asked for milk in very dramatic fashion. I asked if she could wait two minutes and then I would get it. She used one hand to fan her face as if she had just marched miles through the desert to get to the breakfast table, and used the other hand to pat her throat, emphasizing that she could.not.wait. I poured her just a tiny amount of milk, because I'm aware of her propensity to waste. I very handily had put her milk into a measured cup (the kind you get in a kids meal at a restaurant), and she drank not even a full ounce before she was over her parched desert state.
111712132815
Last Thursday night, after German Dance when it was just me and Rebekah in the car, we were talking about what she wanted for Christmas. There is one specific item that she is really hoping for and I told her that she should put it on her list. She responded with, "Well, Santa's not really real." I know that Santa has nothing to do with why we celebrate Christmas, and he's never been hugely popular at our house, but it still felt sad to hear the baby say she didn't believe. I quickly tried to muster up some disbelief and asked her who told her that. She said, "Nobody, I just thinked about it, and he's not real."

Then we proceeded to have what I thought was a really good conversation about how the legend of Santa Claus began with St. Nicholas who was a very generous man who in the true spirit of Christmas had a heart for giving to those in need, when she broke in and asked, "What about that tiny guy who comes to see us in April? What about him, is he real?"

Huh?!

She was mistaken about the month, but she went on to clearly explain how there was a day at school when there were little green footprints all over the classroom and each child had some gold chocolate coins hidden in their desk. So, just so that we are following the same line of reasoning here; she "thinked" about it and decided that a chubby bearded man in a red suit globe trotting to give every child in the world presents in one night is implausible, but the little green guy who hops off the end of a rainbow to leave treats in her classroom ~ well, she's still on the fence about that one.

This funny face pizza:
IMG_8132
All Rebekah...and a tiny bit of Emma. She wanted to use the mushrooms I set out to give our pizza ears, but declared that it would ruin the whole pizza to have mushrooms.

And then just a little earlier this evening she had fallen asleep way too early in the evening so I asked Alyssa to wake her up as I was carrying items in from the car. I came into the living room to hear Rebekah shout loudly, "A-ly-SUH!! Don't kiss me when my eyes are closed!"
IMG_7822
You are such a funny muffin, Rebekah. We hope you never change!!

No comments: