Monday, October 8, 2012

Ziplines

While in Cave City, we took on an adventure that wasn't initially planned. Alyssa and Emma saw brochures for ziplining in our hotel lobby and immediately had their hearts set on going!
IMG_6991
There were two courses, a primary and a secondary course. The secondary course was made for lighter weight {mostly children} riders. I didn't want the girls to go by themselves into the woods, and I just barely made the weight limit for the secondary course, so I went with them. This is us at the end of our zip lining tour. You had to be 50 pounds and Rebekah is not even close, but I doubt we could have convinced her it was a good idea, even if she weighed enough. Dave wasn't able to follow us back there, so we have no actual zipline photos of the girls.
IMG_6973
My dad on the first zip of the course.
IMG_6982
My mom flying through on her first zip.
IMG_6992
These were our tour guides. I think the girls would have stayed out in the woods riding the ziplines all night! It was a lot of fun and super fast!! On the secondary course that the girls and I took, they pitch the lines at a steeper decline so that a light weight passenger cannot get stuck part way through the zip. We were told it is very difficult to retrieve a person who stops out in the middle. The first thing the tall guy on the right said to me as he was helping me with my harness was "Because of your weight, you are going to come flying into the stops, but don't worry, I got you." I wasn't sure how much I could trust a guy who thought it was okay to start any coversation with a woman by saying because of your weight... He was right though, I really did crash into the end points a lot faster than the girls did, and he did successfully stop me before I ran into any trees, I'm just not sure if I have ever felt quite so self conscious of my weight before.

Since we lack pictures of the girls on the Cave City zips, here are some of the girls ziplining in my parents' backyard...
IMG_6215
IMG_6233
IMG_6228
IMG_6219
IMG_6223
IMG_6226
IMG_1001
IMG_6993
Alyssa and Emma were both totally fearless ziplining in Cave City. Emma insisted on being the first to go on each line, the tour guides thought her enthusiasm was funny and a little crazy too. There were some very wobbly tree house like things we had to wait on between zips, a couple of them we even had to climb up onto from rickety old ladders nailed to the side of a tree. I'll admit, I was scared, and more than a little thankful to jump off and go flying into open air. I was so glad that it worked out for us to do this, because the girls wanted to go so badly...and how cool is it that they can zipline in G&G's backyard everytime they visit?!

No comments: