Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Air Show That Wasn't

We had a great day at The Gathering Waters Festival.
 The kayaking was great and exciting. Kamele had to be coaxed into the kayak because she was worried that there were crocodiles in the water, but she ended up loving it! She kept waving and smiling at me back on the shore. She's very happily peeking out from behind Emma in this pic.


 Alyssa and I each had to take our own kayaks out, because the guide didn't think that I could handle a tandem kayak. "It's pretty hard, takes a lot of strength, you know, " he told me. I wanted to protest a little, explain that maybe I was a little stronger than I looked, but considering that I had no idea if I could actually do it, I didn't want to appear over confident in my abilities. Alyssa ended up going in circles out in the water. She must have tried for at least 15 minutes to get herself back to shore. She later confessed that as soon as she got out to the middle, she wanted to head back. She couldn't figure out why leaning the direction she wanted to go wasn't helping her cause at all. She said it was fun, she just thought she was stuck out there for good. Let's just agree that she doesn't have a future on the Iowa rowing team.



The rock climbing was awesome!
 It was Rebekah's first time climbing an actual rock wall, and she looked so cute all "geared up." Alyssa thought so too!


 


 


 



The crafts were super cool too!
 


 


 Rebekah loved the jams :-) She's dancing to The Hand Jive here.


 This boat used by scientists to explore Lake Michigan was really neat too.



About the only thing that wasn't great about the day was the weather. We had gone to the lakefront to enjoy the air and water show and had prepared ourselves for a very hot day, with possible rain sprinkles from time to time.
 It turned out to be freezing! And foggy! The air show was postponed...postponed...then finally canceled. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

No comments: